Documentary Filmmaker and Cultural Entrepreneur
Born in Bursa, Turkey, in 1976, Batu Akyol initially pursued a career in Geophysical Engineering. After over a decade in the IT sector, focusing on project management, he transitioned to his true passion: documentary filmmaking. His journey began in 2008 after training at the New York Digital Film Academy.
- Sultans of Kitchen: A deep dive into the culinary world.
- Regici: Exploring the reggae culture.
- Nardis Jazz Club 20th Year: Celebrating two decades of a jazz institution.
- Jazz in Turkey: Awarded a special jury prize at the Boston Turkish Film Festival.
- To Bill Evans: A tribute to the jazz legend.
- AVEA Escape to Music Concert Series: Documenting the behind-the-scenes of a major music event.
- Eksen On Fair: Capturing the essence of a renowned fair.
- 22nd Akbank Jazz Festival Concerts: An intimate look at one of Turkey’s leading jazz festivals.
- 1st Parkfest: Chronicling the inaugural Parkfest event.
Ortaköy Hatice and Halime Sultan Mansions Restoration
Documenting a year-long restoration project.
Afife Theater Awards Promotional Film
Produced for two consecutive years.
- Önder Focan – 36mm Biometric
- Kerem Görsev & Prague Philharmonic Orchestra – To Bill Evans
- Dilek Sert Erdoğan – It’s Hard To Be A Woman
- Ozan Musluoğlu – My Best Friends Are Vocalists
- Önder Focan & Istanbul Symphony Orchestra – Boğazda
- Önder Focan & Meltem Ege – Hodgesism
- Önder Focan – Songbook
- Kenan Doğulu – İhtimaller Launch Full Concert
- Benny Golson Istanbul Concert
- Kenan Doğulu – İhtimal
- Fatih Erkoç – True Love Full Album Videos
- Okay Temiz – Oriental Wings Full Concert (Babylon)
- 3Guitar Istanbul Project Full Concert
- Tulug Tirpan & Frederik Köster – Salon IKSV Full Concert
After moving to London in 2017, Batu initiated several groundbreaking projects:
- Founded Turquazz, a cultural platform organizing Anatolian-themed events in the UK. turquazz.com
- Launched London’s first Anatolian Jazz Festival.
- Introduced the first Pop-Up Jazz Club as part of the London Jazz Festival.
- Organized a series of culture-focused Supper Clubs.
- Launched BlurNotes. blurnotes.com
- Served on the organizing committee for a charity concert at the Royal Albert Hall, featuring world-renowned artists like Marcus Mumford, Olivia Colman, Hozier, Dermot Kennedy, and James Bay, following a devastating earthquake in Southeastern Anatolia. Also served on the advisory board of the specially formed Solidarity Ensemble orchestra for this concert.
- Provides coaching to artists and music groups from Turkey, assisting them in planning their world tours.
Batu also provides consultancy services to businesses, including Michelin-starred restaurants in London, for their digital transformations, offering sustainable internet brand management models. He also took on the role of internet infrastructure consultant for Turkey’s Advisory Board working on Impact Management, EYDK.org. Currently, he continues to provide consultancy on internet infrastructure setup under the United Nations’ SDG Investments program in various countries.
Batu has recently embarked on a new documentary project called “Echoes & Aromas.” This project consists of two complementary films exploring distinct aspects of London’s Middle Eastern communities. The first film, “Resonance,” focuses on the powerful influence of music, while the second film, “Savor,” delves into the tantalizing world of Middle Eastern cuisine. Both films aim to offer viewers a comprehensive and immersive experience of the diverse culture that the Middle Eastern communities have brought to London.